Current:Home > MarketsPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -CapitalEdge
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:28:57
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (89234)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- North Carolina elections board OKs university ID on phones for voter access this fall
- Glen Powell Looks Unrecognizable After Transforming Into Quarterback for New TV Show Chad Powers
- Driver distracted by social media leading to fatal Arizona freeway crash gets 22 1/2 years
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Oklahoma State football to wear QR codes on helmets for team NIL fund
- Orson Merrick: A Journey Through Financial Expertise and Resilience
- Jesse Winker’s pinch-hit homer in 9th gives Mets 4-3 win over Orioles
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Chipotle brings back IQ test giving away more than $1 million in free burritos, BOGO deals
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 5 takeaways from Day 3 of the DNC
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Break Up, File for Divorce After 2 Years of Marriage
- Jason Kelce Details Heated Fist Fight With Travis Kelce for This Reason
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Pumpkin Spice Latte officially back at Starbucks this week: Plus, a new apple-flavored drink
- Spanish woman believed to be the oldest person in the world has died at age 117
- Driver distracted by social media leading to fatal Arizona freeway crash gets 22 1/2 years
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Spanish woman believed to be the oldest person in the world has died at age 117
The price of gold is at a record high. Here’s why
Sorry, Chicago. Yelp ranks top 100 pizza spots in Midwest and the Windy City might get mad
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
How Ben Affleck Hinted at Being Incompatible With Jennifer Lopez Months Before Split
Social Security's 2025 COLA: Retirees in these 10 states will get the biggest raises next year
'It Ends With Us' star Brandon Sklenar defends Blake Lively, Colleen Hoover amid backlash