Current:Home > reviewsThe View's Whoopi Goldberg Defends Kate Middleton Over Photo Controversy -CapitalEdge
The View's Whoopi Goldberg Defends Kate Middleton Over Photo Controversy
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 23:23:26
Whoopi Goldberg isn't putting a filter on her Photoshop perspective.
Amid the ongoing drama surrounding Kate Middleton's Mother's Day social media post, which resulted in her issuing an apology over a photo many news outlets pulled due to its suspected manipulation, The View moderator gave her two cents on the photo editing debacle.
"I'm sorry, I know very few people who don't manipulate their own photos," she told her cohosts during a March 11 episode of the talk show. "I mean all you gotta do is swipe—none of those people look like those people look."
And while some of her fellow panelists, including Sara Haines and Sunny Hostin, argued that the "future queen" wouldn't take and subsequently edit her own photos, Whoopi doubled down.
"She may be the future queen," the 68-year-old countered. "But she's still an amateur photographer, that's what they do."
On March 10, the Princess of Wales, who has been absent from the public eye while recovering from January abdominal surgery posted a photo of herself with her and Prince William's kids Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5, in honor of U.K.'s Mother's Day.
However, the photo raised eyebrows over its seemingly photoshopped appearance and prominent publications, including the Associated Press and Reuters, later issued a "kill notice" for not meeting the outlets' editorial standards.
"Kensington Palace had issued the image Sunday as speculation swirled on social media about the whereabouts of the oft-photographed princess who hadn't been seen in public since December," the AP said in a statement. "Close study of the image revealed inconsistencies that suggested it had been altered, for instance in the alignment of Princess Charlotte's left hand with the sleeve of her sweater."
Following the debate that sparked surrounding the AP's statement, Kate issued a follow-up post taking responsibility for the photo's irregularities.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," the 42-year-old wrote on X, formerly Twitter, March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
As Kate continues to recuperate—Kensington Palace stated that the princess would not return to royal duty until after Easter–the royal family appears to be returning to business as usual. In fact, William was seen attending Commonwealth Day celebrations with Queen Camilla on March 11 at Westminster Abbey.
Despite the royal family seemingly attempting to move past the controversy, royal expert Omid Scobie shared why he believes it exemplifies how they are losing public trust.
"With the Palace's long history of lying, covering up, and even issuing statements on behalf of family members without their permission (cc: Prince Harry)," he wrote on X March 11."It's becoming increasingly difficult for the public to believe a word (and now photo) they share."
Read on for more news about the royals.
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (27875)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Republican National Committee boosts polling and fundraising thresholds to qualify for 2nd debate
- New Jersey Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver dies; Gov. Phil Murphy planning return to U.S.
- Appeals court reinstates lawsuit by Honduran woman who says ICE agent repeatedly raped her
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- KORA Organics Skincare From Miranda Kerr Is What Your Routine’s Been Missing — And It Starts at $18
- Taylor Swift Gives $55 Million in Bonuses to Her Eras Tour Crew
- These Top-Rated Amazon Tote Bags Are the Best Backpack Alternatives for School, Work & the Gym
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Takeaways from the Trump indictment that alleges a campaign of ‘fraud and deceit’
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Pope Francis can expect to find heat and hope in Portugal, along with fallout from sex abuse scandal
- Grand Canyon bus rollover kills 1, leaves more than 50 injured
- Sweden wins Group G at Women’s World Cup to advance to showdown with the United States
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Fatal stabbing of dancer at Brooklyn gas station being investigated as possible hate crime, police say
- Glow All Summer Long With Sofia Richie Grainge’s Quick Makeup Hacks To Beat the Heat
- Order ‘Mexican Gothic’ author Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s new book, ‘Silver Nitrate,’ today
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Malala Yousafzai and husband join Barbie craze: This Barbie has a Nobel Prize. He's just Ken
Metro Phoenix voters to decide on extension of half-cent sales tax for transportation projects
America Ferrera Dressed Like Barbie Even Without Wearing Pink—Here's How You Can, Too
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
The U.S. loses its top AAA rating from Fitch over worries about the nation's finances
Man charged in Treat Williams' motorcycle death for 'grossly negligent operation'
63-year-old man rescued off New York's Long Island after treading water for 5 hours and waving makeshift flag