Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge -CapitalEdge
Johnathan Walker:FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 00:11:15
Federal agents on Johnathan WalkerSaturday were on board a container ship in the Port of Baltimore that is managed by the same company as the ship that toppled the Francis Scott Key Bridge earlier this year, authorities confirmed.
"The Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Criminal Investigation Division and Coast Guard Investigative Services are present aboard the Maersk Saltoro conducting court authorized law enforcement activity," Angelina Thompson, a spokesperson with the U.S. District Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, told USA TODAY in a statement.
The Saltoro is managed by Synergy Marine Group, the same company that managed the Dali, which on March 26 crashed into the bridge, causing it to fall into the Patapsco River. Six people who were working on the bridge were killed in the disaster, which also stalled operations in the Port of Baltimore.
The Washington Post reported that its reporters saw the ship enter the harbor early Saturday morning and federal agents waiting in a line on the dock outside the ship.
It's not clear whether the move on Saturday is related to the ongoing investigation of the bridge collapse, and the agencies said they would not comment further. Synergy Marine Group did not return requests for comment on Saturday.
US government sues Dali owners
Earlier this week, the Department of Justice filed a civil claim for $103 million against Synergy Marine Private Limited and Grace Ocean Private Limited, the Dali's owner, to recover the money spent responding to the crash and clearing debris so the port could reopen in June.
The suit also includes an unspecified amount for punitive damages. The DOJ accused the two companies of negligence.
"This was an entirely avoidable catastrophe, resulting from a series of eminently foreseeable errors made by the owner and operator of the Dali," Brian Boynton, who heads the Justice Department's Civil Division, said in a statement.
The Dali lost power twice before it left the Port of Baltimore, according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board. The two companies that own and operate the Dali earlier filed a motion to limit their legal liability, which the city of Baltimore has opposed.
The companies said in a statement that the claims were anticipated, and "we do look forward to our day in court to set the record straight."
The families of the six men killed when the bridge tumbled into the water, the company that employed the workers and a survivor of the collapse have also filed claims against the companies in advance of a Sept. 24 deadline.
Contributing: N'dea Yancey-Bragg, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (7)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Harris looks to lock up Democratic nomination after Biden steps aside, reordering 2024 race
- Why is Simone Biles the GOAT? A look at all her accomplishments before Paris Olympics
- Get the scoop on National Ice Cream Day!
- Trump's 'stop
- Mark Hamill praises Joe Biden after dropping reelection bid: 'Thank you for your service'
- CrowdStrike says more machines fixed as customers, regulators await details on what caused meltdown
- Utah wildfire prompts mandatory evacuations
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- The best hybrid SUVs for 2024: Ample space, admirable efficiency
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- No one hurt when CSX locomotive derails and strikes residential garage in Niagara Falls
- Baltimore man arrested in deadly shooting of 12-year-old girl
- The Mitsubishi Starion and Chrysler conquest are super rad and rebadged
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- MLB trade deadline 2024: Biggest questions as uncertainty holds up rumor mill
- MLB power rankings: Angels' 12-month disaster shows no signs of stopping
- Inter Miami stars Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez won’t play in MLS All-Star Game due to injury
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Fossil Fuel Development and Invasive Trees Drive Pronghorn Population Decline in Wyoming
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, The End of Time
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, The End of Time
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Vice President Kamala Harris leads list of contenders for spots on the Democratic ticket
Homeland Security secretary names independent panel to review Trump assassination attempt
Stop taking selfies with 'depressed' bear, Florida sheriff's office tells drivers