Current:Home > StocksTwo 18-year-olds charged with murder of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor -CapitalEdge
Two 18-year-olds charged with murder of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 00:21:49
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two 18-year-old men have been charged with murder in the killing of former “General Hospital” actor Johnny Wactor.
Robert Barceleau and Sergio Estrada were each charged Monday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, District Attorney George Gasón said at a news conference.
“The loss of this talented young actor, who was in the prime of his life and had so much to offer the world, is deeply felt by all of us,” Gascón said.
The men and two co-defendants, all of whom were arrested Thursday, were set to be arraigned on Monday afternoon. It is not clear whether any have yet retained lawyers. An email to the county public defender’s office seeking comment on the case was not immediately answered.
Wactor was shot and killed when he interrupted three thieves stealing the catalytic converter from his car on May 25. Police said the 37-year-old had left work at a downtown LA rooftop bar with a coworker when he saw three men who had hoisted his car. Police said one of them fired at him without provocation and killed him.
Barceleau and Estrada were also both charged with grand theft and attempted robbery.
Barceleau’s charges include special circumstances, including murder during an attempted robbery and personal use of a firearm, that after a conviction could lead to a life sentence without possibility of parole. Estrada’s charges have a maximum sentence of life in prison.
A third man who authorities allege were with them, Leonel Gutierrez, was charged with grand theft and attempted robbery. A fourth, Frank Olano, was charged with being an accessory after the fact.
Wactor’s death has become a rallying point for some in the city pushing for a more hardline approach to fighting crime.
A group consisting of family and friends calling itself “Justice for Johnny” held a rally last week calling for more urgency in the investigation, and another Monday morning calling for aggressive prosecution.
Police and public officials said that is exactly what is happening.
LAPD Interim Chief Dominic Choi said at Monday’s news conference that the investigation has been an “ongoing and relentless pursuit” in a “very difficult case.”
Mayor Karen Bass said in a statement that “We must continue to take aggressive action to make our city safer.”
Barceleau was being held without bail, and Estrada on just over $1 million bail.
veryGood! (6534)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- DeSantis and Haley go head to head: How to watch the fifth Republican presidential debate
- U.S. cut climate pollution in 2023, but not fast enough to limit global warming
- What to know about 'Lift,' the new Netflix movie starring Kevin Hart
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds focuses on education, health care in annual address
- Jimmy John's Kickin' Ranch is leaving. Here's how you can get a bottle of it for 1 cent.
- Former UK opposition leader Corbyn to join South Africa’s delegation accusing Israel of genocide
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- 2 boys who fell through ice on a Wisconsin pond last week have died, police say
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Blizzard knocks out power and closes highways and ski resorts in Oregon and Washington
- Boeing supplier that made Alaska Airline's door plug was warned of defects with other parts, lawsuit claims
- Michigan Wolverines return home to screaming fans after victory over Washington Huskies
- Trump's 'stop
- Migrant families begin leaving NYC hotels as first eviction notices kick in
- Energy drinks like Red Bull, Monster and Rockstar are popular. Which has the most caffeine?
- Family of Arizona professor killed on campus settles $9 million claim against university
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Adan Canto, 'Designated Survivor' and 'X-Men' star, dies at 42 after cancer battle
Armed man fatally shot by police in Baltimore suburb, officials say
When are the Emmy Awards? What to know about the host, 2024 nominees and predicted winners
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
This Avengers Alum Is Joining The White Lotus Season 3
Nebraska upsets No. 1 Purdue, which falls in early Big Ten standings hole
X Corp. has slashed 30% of trust and safety staff, an Australian online safety watchdog says