Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -CapitalEdge
Algosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:17:36
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Algosenseyagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8713)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- WNBA Finals Game 3 winners, losers: Liberty on brink of first title
- The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show returns: How to watch the runway
- US fines Lufthansa $4 million for treatment of Orthodox Jewish passengers on a 2022 flight
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Small business disaster loan program is out of money until Congress approves new funds
- Michael Kors Secretly Put Designer Bags, Puffers, Fall Boots & More Luxury Finds on Sale up to 50% Off
- Alabama Coal Plant Tops US Greenhouse Gas Polluter List for 9th Straight Year
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- 19 mayoral candidates compete to lead Portland, Oregon, in a race with homelessness at its heart
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- How Jose Iglesias’ ‘OMG’ became the perfect anthem for the underdog Mets
- Eva Mendes has a message about food dyes in cereal. People are mad, but is she right?
- What's wrong with Shohei Ohtani? Dodgers star looks to navigate out of October slump
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Wild caracal cat native to Africa and Asia found roaming Chicago suburb
- How Gigi Hadid Gave a Nod to BFF Taylor Swift During Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
- Body camera footage shows Phoenix officers punch, shock deaf man with Taser
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Camille Kostek Shares How Rob Gronkowski's BFF Tom Brady Remains in the Family
Jerry Seinfeld retracts claim that the extreme left is ruining comedy: 'It's not true'
ReBuild NC Has a Deficit of Over $150 Million With 1,600 People Still Displaced by Hurricanes Matthew and Florence
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Lawyers told to apologize for blasting recorded screams in a Philly neighborhood
USDA launches internal investigation into handling of deadly Boar's Head listeria outbreak
'The Summit' Episode 3: Which player's journey in New Zealand was cut short?