Current:Home > NewsSurvivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement -CapitalEdge
Survivor of Parkland school massacre wins ownership of shooter’s name in lawsuit settlement
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 02:12:42
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The most severely wounded survivor of the 2018 massacre at Parkland’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School now owns shooter Nikolas Cruz’s name, and Cruz cannot give any interviews without his permission, under a settlement reached in a lawsuit.
Under his recent settlement with Anthony Borges, Cruz must also turn over any money he might receive as a beneficiary of a relative’s life insurance policy, participate in any scientific studies of mass shooters and donate his body to science after his death.
The agreement means that Cruz, 25, cannot benefit from or cooperate with any movies, TV shows, books or other media productions without Borges’ permission. Cruz is serving consecutive life sentences at an undisclosed prison for each of the 17 murders and 17 attempted murders he committed inside a three-story classroom building on Feb. 14, 2018.
“We just wanted to shut him down so we never have to hear about him again,” Borges’ attorney, Alex Arreaza, said Thursday.
Borges, now 21, was shot five times in the back and legs and collapsed in the middle of the third-floor hallway. Video shows that Cruz pointed his rifle at Borges as he lay on the floor, but unlike most of the other victims he walked past, did not shoot him a second time. Arreaza said he asked Cruz why he didn’t shoot Borges again, but he didn’t remember.
A promising soccer player before the shooting, Borges has undergone more than a dozen surgeries and still lives in pain. He received donations, a $1.25 million settlement from the Broward County school district and an undisclosed settlement from the FBI for their failures in preventing the shooting. Arreaza said it is difficult to say whether Borges has received enough money to cover his future medical expenses.
Several other families also sued Cruz, and a mini-trial had been scheduled for next month to assess damages against him. That trial has been canceled, Arreaza said. David Brill, the attorney representing the other families, did not return a phone call and two email messages seeking comment.
Florida already has laws that prohibit inmates from keeping any proceeds related to their crimes, including any writings or artwork they might produce in prison. In addition, Judge Elizabeth Scherer, when she sentenced Cruz, ordered that any money placed in his prison commissary account be seized to pay restitution to the victims and their families and all court and investigation costs. In total, that would be millions of dollars.
Arreaza said he feared that without the settlement, Cruz could find a way around the law and the judge’s order or assign any money he might receive to a relative or other person.
Borges, the families of those Cruz murdered and other survivors are also suing former Broward County sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson, the sheriff’s office and two former school security guards, alleging they failed to protect the students and staff. No trial date has been set. Peterson was acquitted of criminal charges last year.
veryGood! (5345)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Details Revealed on Richard Simmons’ Cause of Death
- Megan Thee Stallion Seemingly Confirms Romance With NBA Star Torrey Craig
- What makes the new Corvette ZR1's engine so powerful? An engineer explains.
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- What is EEE? See symptoms, map of cases after death reported in New Hampshire
- Small plane makes emergency landing on highway, then is hit by a vehicle
- Amazon’s Epic Labor Day 2024 Sale Includes 80% Off Deals, $6.99 Dresses, 40% Off Waterpik & 48 More Finds
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Doctor charged in connection with Matthew Perry’s death to appear in court after plea deal
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Krispy Kreme offers a dozen doughnuts for $2 over Labor Day weekend: See how to redeem
- Fire inside Great Smoky Mountains National Park doubles in size; now spans 23 acres
- Biden restarts immigration program for 4 countries with more vetting for sponsors
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- NFL places restrictions on Brady’s broadcasting access because of pending Raiders ownership stake
- Trump to visit swing districts in Michigan and Wisconsin as battleground campaigning increases
- Free People's Labor Day Deals Under $50 - Effortlessly Cool Styles Starting at $9, Save up to 70%
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Investigators say dispatching errors led to Union Pacific train crash that killed 2 workers
University of Delaware student killed after motorcyclist flees traffic stop
A Hong Kong court convicts 2 journalists in a landmark sedition case
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
What makes the new Corvette ZR1's engine so powerful? An engineer explains.
Hiker from North Carolina found dead near remote Colorado River trail in Grand Canyon
Good Luck Charlie Star Mia Talerico Is All Grown Up in High School Sophomore Year Photo