Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed -CapitalEdge
TrendPulse|Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:57
RALEIGH,TrendPulse N.C. (AP) — A former porn shop worker who was accused by North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson of defamation has asked a court to throw out the lawsuit against him, calling the politician’s allegations “bizarre” and his demand for at least $50 million in damages a violation of civil court rules.
Robinson, the Republican nominee for governor, filed a lawsuit in Wake County court Tuesday against CNN and Louis Love Money, of Greensboro, saying they published “disgusting lies” about him.
The lawsuit identified a CNN report last month that Robinson made explicit racial and sexual posts on a pornography website’s message board more than a decade ago. Weeks before CNN’s report, Money alleged in a music video and in a media interview that for several years starting in the 1990s, Robinson frequented a porn shop Money was working at, and that Robinson purchased porn videos from him.
Attorneys for Money, in filing a dismissal motion Wednesday, said that Robinson’s lawsuit violated a procedural rule that requires that a person seeking punitive damages state initially a demand for monetary damages “in excess of $25,000.”
The motion said the rule is designed to “prevent excess demands from leaking publicly in the media and tainting the judicial process.” Violating the rule, attorneys Andrew Fitzgerald and Peter Zellmer wrote, may “have been for the very purpose of creating media attention for Mr. Robinson’s campaign.”
Otherwise, the attorneys also are seeking a dismissal on the grounds that the allegations in the lawsuit, even if they were true, fail to establish a cause of action against Money.
“The complaint contains many impertinent and bizarre allegations,” they wrote.
Asked for a response to the motion, Robinson’s campaign referred to Tuesday’s news release announcing the lawsuit. In it, Robinson said claims from “grifters like Louis Love Money are salacious tabloid trash.”
Money on Tuesday said he stood by what he had said as truthful. CNN declined to comment on the lawsuit when it was filed and had not responded to it in court as of midday Thursday.
Robinson is running against Democratic nominee Josh Stein in the campaign to succeed term-limited Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper.
The CNN report led many fellow GOP elected officials and candidates, including presidential nominee Donald Trump, to distance themselves from Robinson’s gubernatorial campaign. Most of the top staff running Robinson’s campaign and his lieutenant governor’s office quit following the CNN report, and the Republican Governors Association stopped supporting Robinson’s bid.
The network report said it matched details of the account on the message board to other online accounts held by Robinson by comparing usernames, a known email address and his full name. CNN also reported that details discussed by the account holder matched Robinson’s age, length of marriage and other biographical information.
The lawsuit alleges that CNN published its report despite knowing, or recklessly disregarding, that Robinson’s personal data was previously compromised by data breaches.
veryGood! (67)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 'The Exorcist': That time William Friedkin gave us a tour of the movie's making
- Worker injured as explosion at Texas paint plant sends fireballs into sky
- Paramount sells Simon & Schuster to private investment firm
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- CDC says COVID variant EG.5 is now dominant, including strain some call Eris
- Proposed protective order would infringe on Trump's free speech, his lawyers say
- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan arrested after jail sentence for corruption conviction
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- William Friedkin, Oscar-winning director of 'French Connection' and 'The Exorcist,' dies at 87
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Arrest warrants issued after boaters attack dock employee at Montgomery riverbank
- Federal judge tosses Trump's defamation claim against E. Jean Carroll
- Winfrey, Maddow and Schwarzenegger among those helping NYC’s 92nd Street Y mark 150th anniversary
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Q&A: Dominion Energy, the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative and Virginia’s Push Toward Renewables
- White Sox's Tim Anderson, Guardians' Jose Ramirez and four others suspended over brawl
- Ex-NYPD commissioner Bernard Kerik meets with special counsel investigators in 2020 election probe
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Kansas officer wounded in weekend shootout that killed a car chase suspect has died of injuries
Woman critically injured by rare shark bite off NYC’s Rockaway Beach
Possible human limb found floating in water off Staten Island
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Music Review: Neil Young caught in his 1970s prime with yet another ‘lost’ album, ‘Chrome Dreams’
William Friedkin, Oscar-winning director of ‘The Exorcist’ and The French Connection,’ dead at 87
Simon & Schuster purchased by private equity firm KKR for $1.62 billion